Skip to Content Request Info

Office of the Registrar


Ottawa University invites and encourages family and friends to attend and participate in celebrating our graduates annually at one of our commencement ceremonies. The commencement season is filled with hope and purpose as our graduates achieve a meaningful milestone and pursue new career opportunities. We recognize and applaud our graduates and their respective families during graduation ceremonies conducted at each campus.

Learn More

Registrar Office Staff

Margaret Herron

University Registrar

Marikay Galutia

Assistant Registrar

Danielle O'Barto

Registrar Specialist

Kellie Burdg

Registrar Specialist

Mark Ortiz

Associate Registrar 

Enrollment and Degree Verification

Students may request enrollment verification letters for personal or professional use certifying enrollment by submitting a request in person or by contacting the Registrar’s Office at:

Registrar’s Office
Ottawa University
1001 S. Cedar Street
Ottawa, KS 66067
Phone: 800.755.5200

Please submit the following information when making your request:

  • Student Name
  • Student ID Number and Social Security Number
  • Semester for which you need verification
  • Address or fax where the letter needs to be sent
  • For verifications for insurance companies, name and id of policyholder

In accordance with the Ottawa’s FERPA Policy, only directory information will be provided in a verification letter unless we have received the written permission of the student.

The following is a sample letter verifying enrollment:

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to verify that John Doe, social security number 000-00-0000, was enrolled full time at Ottawa University for Spring Semester 2006, which began 1/13/2006 and ended 5/13/2006. Full time status begins with 12.0 credit hours.


Signature of the University Registrar

Third-Party Enrollment and Degree Verifications

Third-party entities my request enrollment or degree verifications for students by submitting an online request on our Degree Verification request portal.



The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

Notification of Rights Under FERPA

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the university receives a written request for access.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.
  3. The right to provide written consent before the university discloses personally identifiable information from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA. Complaints should be filed with:

    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202-5901

The university discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review and education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities. A school official is defined as:

  • A person employed by the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff).
  • A person or company with whom the university has contracted as its agent to provide a service instead of using university employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, collection agency, National Student Clearinghouse).
  • A member of the Board of Trustees.
  • A student serving on an official committee or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

Items defined by the university as “directory information” may be released without a student’s written consent unless the student has provided written notification to the university that such information should be withheld. The following are categories considered as directory information by the university:

  • Category I: Name, address, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of student and parent, dates of attendance, classification, and photographs.
  • Category II: Previous institution(s) attended, major field of study, awards, honors, degrees and dates of degrees conferred.
  • Category III: Past and present participation in officially recognized athletics and activities, physical factors (height and weight of athletes).

Students who wish to prevent disclosure of directory information should contact the registrar’s office at their campus. The university will honor a request to withhold any of the categories listed above but cannot assume responsibility to contact the student for subsequent permission to release them.  Regardless of the effect upon the student, the institution assumes no liability for honoring a student’s request that such information be withheld.

Information for Parents

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA, also referred to as the Buckley Amendment) is a federal law that affords students certain rights regarding access and release of their education records.

When children are enrolled in elementary, middle, and high school, FERPA gives the student and his or her parents the right to access and control the release of the student’s education records. When the student enrolls at a college or university, these rights transfer directly to the student. Why? Because FERPA considers college students responsible adults and allows them to determine who will receive information from their education records. While parents naturally have an interest in their son or daughter’s academic progress (and may even be paying for their education), they are not automatically granted access to their records.

The quickest, easiest way for you to receive information about your student’s grades or other student information is to ask your student to provide it to you. Students have access to most student information through Ottawa’s web portal (MyOttawa), which provides online access to transcripts, schedules, grades, and degree audits from anywhere in the world. Financial aid records and student bills are also available through this portal. Some students and their parents also make appointments to log in together at regular intervals (i.e., when the student is home on semester breaks) to review the student’s records.

You can also receive information about your child if you submit proof that he/she is your dependent as defined by the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, Section 152. We strongly recommend that parents first request the information from their student and use this method of obtaining information only in unusual or special situations. To make this request, contact the Registrar’s Office for a copy of the Parental Affidavit for Student Information form, complete it, attach a copy of your most recent federal tax form, and return it by mail or fax to the Registrar’s Office. This documentation must be provided every time a request for information is made, and any charges that apply to the release of information (i.e., transcript fees) will be assessed. Students will be notified each time their parents submit a Parental Affidavit for Student Information.

Additional Information

Ottawa University’s FERPA policy is available for review at Questions concerning this law and the University’s procedures regarding release of academic information may be directed to the Registrar’s Office at 800. 755.5200.

The U.S. Department of Education is responsible for overseeing FERPA. See the Department’s Web site for additional information:

Replacement Diplomas

To order a replacement diploma, please complete our Replacement Diploma Form. Send the completed form, along with $25.00 fee, to:

Registrar’s Office
Ottawa University
ADM 204
1001 S. Cedar Street
Ottawa, KS 66067

You can also scan and email your request. The form will be held until payment is received.

Please allow four to six weeks for processing. Requests may be expedited if the requester provides an additional $25.00 to cover overnight postage.

A Guide to Transferring Credit

If you are a current Ottawa University student interested in transferring a course from another institution to Ottawa University:

NOTE: You want to begin this process at least 4 weeks before you need to register. This will give you enough time to learn the transferability before payment is due to the transferring institution.

  1. Determine the school you wish to attend and course(s) you wish to take. It may be helpful to view the course equivalency guides located on the Registrar’s website.
  2. Fill out the Pre-Approval of Transfer Credit form that can be found online or in the Registrar’s office. 
  3. Attach a course description and turn the form in to the Registrar’s Office. The course will then be evaluated to determine its equivalent. (On average, an evaluation may take up to 2 weeks. If your request requires consultation from the department (such as coursework being taken abroad or upper level/major coursework) it may take longer for your form to be processed.)
  4. You will receive a copy of the signed form in the mail at the address you provide on the form.
  5. Contact the school you wish to attend to enroll for the course.
  6. Once you have completed the course, request that an official transcript with the final grade is sent to the Registrar’s Office.

Study Abroad

  • If you are completing Study Abroad through an institution other than Ottawa University, you will need to complete a “Pre-Approval of Transfer Credit.
  • If you are completing Study Abroad through Ottawa University and would like courses to count towards degree requirements, you will need to complete a substitution form.

If you are an incoming freshman or transfer student:

Test Scores

  1. Request that your scores (Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, or CLEP) be sent to Ottawa University.
  2. When Ottawa University receives the scores, they will be added to your record according to the policy in place.

College Credit (including dual credit)

  1. Request to have an official transcript sent to Ottawa University.
  2. Once Ottawa University receives the transcript, it is evaluated in the Registrar’s Office. (On average, an evaluation may take up to 2 weeks. If your request requires consultation from the department (such as coursework being taken abroad or upper level/ major coursework) it may take longer for your form to be processed.)
  3. Eligible transfer work is added to the student’s academic record. (You can review all transfer credit by viewing the unofficial transcript accessible through the MyOttawa portal.)
  4. If you would like a transferred course to count for a requirement that it is not already fulfilling, you need to request this with a substitution. (See “Guide to the Substitution Process.”)
  5. If a course is not transferred that you believe is academically worthy and equivalent to a Ottawa University course, you can bring more information (such as textbooks and syllabi) to the Registrar’s Office for additional review.
  6. The Registrar’s Office and department will collaborate to determine if the course is eligible for transfer.
  7. If your request is approved, your records will be updated to reflect the change.

Advanced Placement

Advanced Placement (AP) Program examinations are administered through high schools. For information regarding the courses or examinations, please contact your high school counselor or principal. Additional information may be obtained through the Advanced Placement Program at:

Advanced Placement Program
P. O. Box 6671
Princeton, NJ 08541-8300
(888) 225-5427

Students who complete an AP exam must send an original College Grade Report from AP to Ottawa University (the CEEB code is xxxx). A “P” (test) grade will be awarded for AP credit. This grade will not affect the student’s grade point average but will count toward total hours and fulfill degree requirements.

A brochure detailing the AP equivalencies for students entering Ottawa University is available by clicking here (2018-2019 Brochure). Equivalencies for future students are subject to change without notice as a result of changes in AP test content and Ottawa course/curriculum changes.


College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examination and administration procedures are available from the Ottawa University Assessment and Testing Office (xxx) xxx-xxxx. Additional information may be obtained through the College Level Examination Program at:

College Level Examination Program
P.O. Box 6600
Princeton, NJ 08541-6600

Students who complete a CLEP exam must have an original College Grade Report sent from the College Board to Ottawa University (our CEEB code is xxxx).

Credit will be awarded when the student scores at or above the ACE recommended credit-granting score. A grade of “P” is granted to indicate credit received. The “P” grade does not affect the grade point average (GPA), but does count toward total earned hours.

A brochure listing the exams for which Ottawa University currently grants credit is available in .pdf form by clicking here (2018-2019 Brochure). These equivalencies are subject to change without notice as a result of changes in CLEP test content and Ottawa University course/curriculum changes.

Dual Credit

Ottawa University accepts dual credit and prior college credit for transferable courses from accredited colleges and universities. Dual credit refers to courses for which students earn both high school and college credit for the same courses. Prior college credit refers to courses taken at a college or university that are not used to satisfy high school graduation requirements.

Students who have participated in dual credit programs and/or those who have earned prior college credit are required to have official transcripts sent from all colleges and universities through which credit has been attempted. Official transcripts for first-time undergraduate students and new transfer students must be sent to the Admissions Office prior to matriculation at Ottawa University. Undergraduate course work is evaluated by the Registrar’s Office for transferability and applicability. Credit and grades for transferable courses will become part of the student’s academic record at Ottawa University.

International Baccalaureate Program

The International Baccalaureate (IB) Program’s examinations are administered through high schools. For information regarding the courses or examinations please contact a high school counselor or principal. Additional information may be obtained through:

International Baccalaureate Global Centre, Washington DC
7501 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 200 West
Bethesda, Maryland 20814

Students who complete IB exams must send an original grade report from IB to Ottawa University (the CEEB code is xxxx).

A brochure with this information is also available in .pdf form by clicking here (2018-2019 Brochure). If an exam that you are taking, or that you may take, is not included in the list below, please contact the Ottawa University Registrar’s Office at (xxx) xxx-xxx or for equivalency information.


Ottawa University has three Veterans Representatives (also known as School Certifying Officials - SCO).  SCO’s are physically located in Surprise, AZ; Ottawa, KS; and Brookfield, WI. These representatives serve as a liaison for those students who are eligible to receive Veteran’s benefits. Students who are eligible for Veterans benefits should contact their Veterans Representative for an application and procedures.

Each semester, students who are receiving Veterans benefits must complete an Intent to Enroll form before an enrollment certification can be submitted to the Veterans Administration for processing. Intent to Enroll forms can be found by contacting your representative. Checks are mailed directly from the Veterans Administration to the address listed by the student on the Intent to Enroll form.

Any time a schedule change is made, it is the student’s responsibility to immediately notify the Veterans Representative of the change. Schedule changes include adding courses, dropping courses, or withdrawing from the university.

This innovative tool makes it easier to research colleges and employers providing training under the GI Bill. It displays median borrowing amounts, graduation rates, and loan-default rates by school and indicates whether or not the school participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program or has agreed to adhere to the Principles of Excellence. Further, the tool allows Veterans, Servicemembers, their spouses, and dependents to estimate the amount of funding they may receive under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Information is available to help them find the best place to use their benefits at


The GI Bill Feedback Tool is a centralized online reporting system that allows Veterans, Servicemembers, and eligible dependents to report negative experiences with educational institutions. VA serves as the intermediary to resolve complaints between the student and school. Submitted complaints may be reviewed by state and Federal law enforcement agencies including the Department of Justice. Students may submit feedback on their educational institution by visiting

Veteran's Benefits

The Veteran’s Representatives provide services to persons who are eligible to receive educational assistance (GI Bill) as administered through the U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

Students who are veterans, dependents of veterans or members of reserve and National Guard units must visit the University Veterans Representative to initiate their G.I. Bill.

Once admitted to the University, additional veteran services provided include: certifying veterans enrolled in classes; conferring with veterans and dependents of totally disabled veterans; and ensuring that veteran students are in compliance with federal and state laws governing their educational benefits.

GI Bill®

The GI Bill® provides educational assistance to servicemembers, veterans, and their dependents.

Learn More

Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents, and Survivors

The Department of Veterans Affairs most popular publication, the Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors booklet provides brief descriptions of VA programs and benefits, including compensation and pension benefits, health care, memorial and burial benefits, facility phone numbers and addresses, and more.

Learn More

Post 9/11 GI Bill Questions

Find the answers to your GI Bill Questions here.



Mr. Mark Ortiz

Associate Registrar

15950 N. Civic Center Plaza

Surprise, AZ 85374



Kansas and Online


Dr. Julie McAdoo

Assistant Dean for Academic Development

1001 S. Cedar Street

Ottawa, KS 66067





Mr. Brian Patterson

Director of Wisconsin Campus Operations

245 S. Executive Drive

Suite 340

Brookfield, WI  53005


Adult, Professional, & Graduate Campuses

Office of the Registrar
1001 South Cedar St,
Ottawa, KS 66067-3399

Official transcripts, score reports, exam reports etc., should be sent as follows:

Paper Transcripts

 Attn:  Registrar's Office, ADM 204
1001 South Cedar St,
Ottawa, KS 66067

Electronic Transcripts, please use this email account:


Hand-carried Transcripts, Score or Exam reports will NOT be accepted.

Ottawa University Surprise Residential Campus

Office of the Registrar
15950 N. Civic Center Plaza
Surprise, AZ 85374

Official transcripts, score reports, exam reports etc., should be sent as follows:

Paper Transcripts

 Attn:  Registrar's Office, ADM 204
1001 South Cedar St,
Ottawa, KS 66067

Electronic Transcripts, please use this email account:


Hand-carried Transcripts, Score or Exam reports will NOT be accepted.

Ottawa University Residential Campus

Office of the Registrar
1001 South Cedar St
Ottawa, KS  66067

Official transcripts, score reports, exam reports etc., should be sent as follows:

Paper Transcripts

 Attn:  Registrar's Office, ADM 204
1001 South Cedar St,
Ottawa, KS 66067

Electronic Transcripts, please use this email account:


Hand-carried Transcripts, Score or Exam reports will NOT be accepted.

Back to top